Our community is no different than any other community in America when it comes to substance abuse and bullying issues and concerns. We have youth and young adults who use/abuse drugs and alcohol and many are predisposed to substance abuse disorder. We have serious concerns with youth who bully others or are bullied. Our community has a committed group of parents, educators, community leaders, youth and young adults that are facing the problem head on and are doing something about it.
Our goal is straightforward – We are collaborators who work to support youth with prevention education, access to resources, and peer-to-peer encouragement so that they can live above influences that don’t support being the best that they can be. We look at ourselves as partners with Living Above the Influence. We hope this web site serves as a resource for finding the tools that meet your needs and your circumstances. We hope you will help and support us in this very important mission – for our children, for our families, and for our community.
A message from our President, Pam Pearce - "I believe if we confront facts and fears, we achieve real power and unleash a capacity for change.: I love this quote. I read the book Willful Blindess by Margaret Heffernan and when I read that quote it was like the clouds parted. One of the ways I believe we can support this concept is to share our stories. Here's mine...My story was posted on Heroes in Recovery website today which is an honor. I want to thank a few people who are very important part of my life journey. Thank you Jennifer Lio for keeping me alive during college and to husband for being the last person to say - please stop. I wish I could share this with my dad but unfortunately he is no longer living. Genectically he is my match...he "gifted me with a blessing and a curse." To my mom who battled the "elephant" for many years...you are my hero. Gift in a funny looking box
Events, News, Updates - 2017
- Several months ago we asked the youth in West Linn to help us come up with a new name for our organization. In February the board voted unanimously on that new name, COMMUNITY LIVING ABOVE. Over the next few months we will be transitioning to the new name.
- A very special video message for youth from Deen Castronovo, long-time drummer with the band JOURNEY, on lessons learned from his past substance use and abuse. Thanks DEEN for sharing your story & valuable insights to help others!
- Adults Only and Students Only - Fall of each year. Professionals in the Law Enforcement, Juvenile Justice System, Mental Health/Counselors, Testimonies, Bullying facts/info, and resources will be some of the professionals on hand to educate, answer questions and support our community.
- Spring Mentor Days for 8th graders - Spring of each year. at community middle schools. High School students speak to the eighth graders about influences that have positive and negative effects on their lives. They share stories, experiences, and advice.
- Resources for Parent/Family Support, Events, Community Involvement. Check the calendar for dates and times.